Subject: [Leica] LUG contest: image formats
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri Aug 25 15:26:33 2006

Sorry to bombard you, but I'm just full o' questions.

The summary page says one can upload images in nearly any format, long
as they're less then 5MB, but suggests good ol' 8-bit JPEG.

I know that many of us can get persnickety about presenting an image
which doesn't look like ass, and so would like to do our own final
scaling and compression of the image to its final as-displayed form --
some of those sites which feel free to rescale submitted images on the
fly can really chew the pictures up something awful.

On the other hand, I assume you'll want the contest site to strip out
EXIF data, so as to keep submitters and their equipment anonymous 'til
the judging's done.

Have you any comments on what image munging will and won't be done
automagically by the site, and will there be target sizes submitters
will be asked to aim for?

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] LUG contest: image formats)