Subject: [Leica] Walker Evans--digital reproductions
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Aug 25 08:57:33 2006

B.D.
With a medium like photography, the original is available for whoever lays
their hands on it.  So, in a loose sense, everyone gets to play.  Weston had
it correct, the only way to enforce his vision for his images was to destroy
the originals so only his vision existed.

Any photographer who has any illusions about what control they have over
their images after they have lost control of the originals is sadly
dilusional.

My problem with the twerp was that his insight was no insight at all, he
preferred the original interpretation of the images and developed a
construct to support his vision.  All well and good and the author is
certainly entitled to their viewpoint.  The fact remains that a negative or
digital file will be re-interpreted by somebody if the image is significant
enough.  I don't believe that even very closely worded legal documents
detailing what could and could not be done with images are worth the paper
they are written on.  Just look at the private museum in Philly that
recieved permission to move in clear violation of the intent of the person
who built and funded the collection.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com