Subject: [Leica] You can buy the Noctilux 50 1.2 on *bay...
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Aug 24 17:55:44 2006

B.D. no informed comment to make on the Noctilux.
Regarding the Zuiko, I can certainly see, in the wedding shots, what Don has
described as the "glow". Disregarding the miniscule DOF, which I could never
master with 1.4's let alone bigger, the shots, as displayed, look to me in
effect, like older uncoated glass and not at all like a relatively modern
era Japanese SLR lens (70's or 80's Zuiko, Nikkor, Canon etc)

It may well be some combination of lower light levels and quality, slower
speeds, DOF, influencing the shots. Or also personal interpretation on
appropriate sharpening for the subjects.
That's not a value judgement, in fact for some of the wedding shots, I'm
sure that folks would be very pleased to see just what you have shown.
I don't see any unevenness suggesting any issue with the particular glass
sample. No shortage of resolution in those last posted pics either. It
always reminds me of medium format film (abetted by the absence of grain in
the digital image. Plus of course the "glow" isn't apparent at all to me in
many other photos that you have posted recently.
Just my perception based on the low res versions on a computer screen.
I do understand that you haven't applied any processing, including
sharpening

Cheers
Hoppy
Learning constantly