Subject: [Leica] Another famous photographer went
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Aug 23 01:13:43 2006

Hi Bart.
As yet I've not located the original article, which I vaguely recalled.
It's not in my back pile of magazines, it may still be recoverable in the
family archives. However, it seems that the refuted part was that Larry
Burrows was the guilty "Lab Technician". Larry of course became a very
accomplished war photographer as well and was later killed in South East
Asia.

So evidently the negs were heat damaged as widely reported but it was
another person at Life that did the damage.
Here's a quote from the info I've found so far.

"Although 15-year-old lab assistant named Dennis Banks was responsible for
the accident, an apocryphal account (which, despite being accepted as
untrue, has gained widespread currency), blames Larry Burrows, who worked in
the lab not as a technician but as a "tea-boy".

Tea boy, I gather, meant assistant without formal training; a gofer.
I was very interested to read, as well, that the Capa name was an
Americanisation, if you like of a Polish photographer to help gain
acceptance.

Cheers
Hoppy