Subject: [Leica] Walt's FM3a's
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sat Aug 19 17:34:37 2006

I bought the Nikon FM3a without really even needing it. And I did it after
polling the people here about a really rugged manual SLR. Where this started
was a small article in Pop Photo (or Peterson's) in which the writer asked
where one could get a manual SLR these days that was as rugged as a hockey
puck (my first thought was Pentax K1000, but they aren't around any more).
He cited the Cosina Bessa M42 SLR as being that camera. Well, I have a
Cosina Bessa M42 SLR, and it is more like a Bessa R than a hockey puck. I
don't see it knocking any teeth out. And my mind kept going back to those
marvelous brass SLRs of the 1970's, the Nikkormat FTN and the Pentax K1000.
So, while I could still do so, I asked you guys which manual focus SLR is
built like they were built 30 years ago, and I got the Nikon FM3A as the
candidate. I'm glad I bought it. I still have about 8 Nikon lenses from way
back then, so I hope this body outlasts my body.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/