Subject: [Leica] Magnum's Chris Anderson on Lebanon vs. Robert Capa/Chim Seymour
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Fri Aug 18 07:55:52 2006

Scott

I wasn't going to intrude into this discussion until I read B.D.'s very
observant remarks. I've  books by Seymour, Capa and perhaps many others
you've not come across. Withing the last coupe of years I saw
Nachtwey's traveling exhibit and quite frankly was not blown away. Don't
misunderstand me, he is a fine shooter but I was much more impressed
with his courage rather than his work.

Some of the Magnum shooters (Nachtwey once was as well) impress me with
their vision. It's a personal thing and hard to nail down. I remember
way back in the 70's hearing many pro shooters talk of HCB's work as
snapshots. Hate to admit it, but I might have been blabbing that as
well. :-!     Although Capa's always  called "the greatest war
photographer" I'm not in agreement. Again, personal preference and you
know what we say about those.

One of the often overlooked elements in Mid East war coverage should be
obvious to us all. Capa, Chim, George Rodgers, Smith and many other
greats knew where they stood. Not always safe but certainly well
defined. Go back and look at more of Anderson's work. There are some
images of crazies waving  Hezbollah flags and pistols on the streets of
South Lebanon. Right in the middle of it all is our little white boy
from Canada? Excuse me while I go change my underwear.

See you on the West Bank

Walt

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Magnum's Chris Anderson on Lebanon vs. Robert Capa/Chim Seymour)
Message from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Magnum's Chris Anderson on Lebanon vs. Robert Capa/Chim Seymour)