Subject: [Leica] Subway project featured in sponsored section of PDNonline
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed Aug 2 08:10:31 2006

On 2 Aug 2006 at 9:45, B. D. Colen wrote:

> But
> beyond that, they are willing to sacrifice, or at least risk, virtually
> everything else in their lives for their work - and that takes something
> very special and rare; I know I sure don't have it, and I don't think many
> people in any field do.

To tweak the perspective a bit (without disagreeing in the slightest
with your comments)

Shortly after Dame Margot Fonteyn died, back 1991, one of the radio
stations here played an interview with her that'd be recorded only a
few months before she passed on.  One of the questions she was asked
was whether she ever regretted the sacrifices she had made.

Her response was that the question was "bullshit."  (Her word.)

She went on, roughly paraphrased, `I have never sacrificed for my
art.  I have made the choice to do certain things and that has meant
I have made the choice NOT to do other things... that is the nature
of any art. If you're "sacrificing for your art" you're not really
that serious about it.  Go do the things you REALLY want to do.'

So I don't know if "sacrifice" is the right word here.  Perhaps it's
simply a different set of values and perspectives in play?

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Subway project featured in sponsored section of PDNonline)