Subject: [Leica] Subway project. NOW a test!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Aug 2 06:45:33 2006

Richard offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Subway project featured in sponsored section of
PDNonline
>>> Note to others: I am not saying B.D. is as good as Smith, Richards,
> Natchway, etc. I am not saying anything in that department :-) May be he
> is or may be his not.<<<

G'day Richard,
An interesting observation. Here's a test for yourself and the crew. I'd
trust people would keep an open mind on this because if you don't it wont
work.

I've done this and tried it with a number of photo oriented people just for
the hell of it for the re-action.

In your mind before you open B.D.s site lock in your mind you are about to
look at a portfolio of Eugene Richard's photographs, B.D. dosn't exist.

Open the site without any thought but Gene Richards and the pictures will be
"amazingly changed in quality" only because... "WOW that Richard's is
incredible!" They take on a whole new meaning of positive quality only
because you think Gene took them! ERGO: they become better! Now put them in
the perseptive that it's B.D.s work and it becomes "Oh well nice stuff quick
glance and turn the page!" It's a human psychological thing.

A great many people get wet pants over a big name because they've been
published in major magazines or done books, sure the work is fine. Therefore
before one opens the book there's a big plus built before you look, simply
because of whom did the photography.

A personal example: When I received my LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD from
CAPIC, the Canadian Association of Photographers and Illustrators in
Communications there wasn't much attention paid to it.

However as soon as it was known that Yousuf Karsh and myself received the
identical award on the same stage that evening........ my photographer
relevance was moved to the front pages and carried by Canadian Press on the
wire service.

It was like, "WOW we didn't know we had a photographer who's work was
equated to Karsh's in receiving equal award status. Nor did we know he also
won the Karsh Award for B&W portrature in Photojournalism. Does this really
mean my work is equal to the Master's?

Of course not in portrait sense, he did his thing and I did mine,
photojournalism. But his is a world reknowned name therefore people equated
my name to a level because I was seen receiving the same recognition.

The greatness of others should always be judged by the opportunities they
had to do assignments in beautiful or horricfic conditions. One should
always think about the hundreds of thousands of unkown super competent
photographers every year who do fantastic photography without ever a
recognition.

I think our Family of Man entries illustrated this in many cases. There's a
great number of un-known super shooters out there in the cold cruel world
who never get a recognition other than from friends and family.

Or right here on the LUG, we see the work of Kyle for instance, a book
contract signing that will elevate his "world known status as a
photojournalist" when his Gun Book hits the stores. TV interviews, book
reviews and no question spreads carried in photo magazines. He will become
an internationally known quantity because of the book, however we've seen
some very cool work by him over the years when he basically received no more
attention than that from the LUG crew.

And up to this point a commercially known photographer for his sharp eye in
producing some great commercial photography.

Richard you never know where your photography will lead you or where it will
take, but the books of others quite often our eyes to what we'd like to do
and if those feelings are strong enough, run with them because much of that
comes from the heart and your spirit to do photography.

OK back to B.D.'s subway material, for my money under the conditions and
subjects it stands up there with the best of the best regardless of name.
Other wise if it didn't we wouldn't have seen it used in this context of
promotion.

Ask your self "what woud Gene Richards have done different or better?" Not
one damn thing because what we see in this series is incredible
photojournalism under conditions 99.9% of the people on this site wouldn't
even begin to think of doing, let alone as well.

that's it.

Message from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Subway project featured in sponsored section of PDNonline)
Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Subway project featured in sponsored section of PDNonline)