Subject: [Leica] Das Boot - Leica Sighting
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jul 27 22:06:34 2006

Adam Bridge offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Das Boot - Leica Sighting

> I'm not sure about the great anti-war film but it's certainly the best
> submarine film every made.
>
> Absolutely first-rate in all respects. Amongst the submarine communit
> it is very highly regarded.<<<

Hi Adam,
I don't think of it as an anti-war film, more of an anti-submariner film!

My first tour of a submarine was with my dad in Toronto about 1937-8 when
there was a German WW1 submarine on show. It scared the heck out of me
edging my way through it and imagining we were under water. Worse because at
that time I had yet learned how to swim.

Later in life I had an interesting flight sitting beside a highly ranked
Canadain Submariner and we talked about the film. It was a fascinating
discussion having the persepctive of a serving officer on a submarine. :-)
Yes agreed it was a very special film.

And no matter what he said he never convinced me it was the coolest way to
do battle in a war.

However, it's a fabulous film I've seen quite a few times in theatre and on
the tele, it always shake's me to near death during the depth charging
scenes!:-(

My logic was always being on the side of the army ... "I would be on land!
Not under water unable to breathe. Or in the airforce falling out of a plane
without a parachute.

Falling out of a plane without parachute was corrected for my 65 birthday
present when I did my first jump and solo. So I don't feel so bad about that
anymore. ;-)

But the submarine part? I can't hold my breathe long enough! :-)

However a ride in a sub for my 80th birthday is still in the planning! And I
recentley had the very good fortune to make the right connections to have it
happen! We shall see in three years! By then maybe they'll have the Canadian
subs sea worthy! Or I'll make sure I have an auxillary breathing tank just
in case! ;-)

Canadian's on the list will get the sick humour far more about our sub
fleet! :-)

ted