Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 28: Dutch motoring
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Jul 20 05:39:20 2006

Nathan,
A long time back, possibly the late seventies traffic management theory in
the U.S. was much like you describe in the Netherlands.  Most cities have
detectors to regulate the flow of traffic.  I very pleasantly recall main
arteries in Kansas City where if you traveled in a specific speed range you
could go miles without hitting a red light.  Now they use the sensors to
manage blocks of traffic by turning lights red to stop traffic from flowing
smoothly.  It is not at all unusual to see the green light one block down
turn red just as your light turns green.  Of course humans being human speed
through the block trying to get through the intersection before the red
light gets too stale.  Now the cities are installing cameras to let you know
where to send the fine for running the red light.

But wait, it gets better.  Large office complexes hire off duty police to
stop traffic so their employees can get out of the parking lot.  So the
opportunity to go completely down one whole block unstopped is not possible
because officer friendly makes you stop so forty or fifty cars can get in
front of you.

I stay sane currently as I am only about 1.45 miles from my job and the
traffic insanity doesn't last long enough to trigger the aggressive
impulses.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com