Subject: [Leica] Speculation
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Jul 17 22:15:14 2006

There is no law of nature that defines 24x36mm as "full frame". It is a
mere coincidence that this was the size available to Barnack back in
1913. If movie film had been a different size, than we would be thinking
of that size as "full frame". Judging from the results produced by high
quality 1.3 sensor cameras, such as the Canon 1D II or indeed the Leica
DMR, there is no imperative for Leica to attempt to make a digital M
with a 24x36mm sensor; in fact, producing one with a 1.3 sensor will
help it sell some more lenses on the wide end.

And you can be sure that no brakes will be put on product development
now. I have no inside knowledge, but given the expectations raised by
Leica, the company would be commercially comatose if not dead if they do
not show a WORKING digital M at Photokina in 2 1/2 months.

Nathan