Subject: [Leica] Paying to shoot
From: nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Date: Mon Jul 17 01:49:09 2006

Why should the rules be different between press work and stock work? Well,
it's arguable that press work is for the public good, whereas stock work is
primarily for the photographer's good. I should say "could be different"
rather than "should", as I'm not actually arguing in favour of charging,
merely that whilst I don't like it much, I don't find it unreasonable in all
circumstances, and I also accept that that argument is fairly flimsy.
I should make it absolutely crystal-clear here that I am 100% against
restrictions or charges on photography in public places, but when it's
somewhere like a historical site, I see no problem in a modest fee being
charged if that money is going into the upkeep of a site - if you hire a
model, you have to pay, so ethically, what's the difference? Of course I
much prefer not having to pay, but that's a different issue to do with my
meanness...

In general, I comply with the rules on photography wherever I go, but there
are exceptions - I have been known to use a monopod where tripods are
banned, for instance, and I absolutely refuse to pay to take stock pictures
of my local historic monument, Kenilworth Castle - but in this case, it's
because the castle actually belongs to the inhabitants of Kenilworth, of
which I am one, so there's no way I'm paying a fee to take pictures of my
own property!

And the National Trust rules annoy the hell out of me, too, but that's
another story altogether.

Nick