Subject: [Leica] 6 Bit Coding on Lenses
From: michael.francis at gs.com (Francis, Michael)
Date: Fri Jul 14 13:57:57 2006

Steve,

I got some mixed results with DxO, I use it with my 20D, the examples
below in an example of how well it can work, but the RAW conversion
appears to be off somewhat when compared to a cluster of other RAW
converters. For instance the sky has some noise introduced and it means
a run through Noise Ninja or similar. Also fine details appear to be
lost in exchange for a sharper image.

http://www.francis-web.com/Photography/album/Misc/DxO%20Examples/index.h
tml

There is a new version out soon, so maybe that will fix the RAW issue as
the RAW processing was a major driver in my purchasing it. Simple batch
processing with little effort.

DxO does produce the best one click no intervention to JPG that I have
seen (the example was done on automatic.) My conclusion was that as a
one click fix to print the results can be stunning, but I don't know if
I will use it for all my images.

If Leica do use DxO with the digital M I hope that it will be optional
as I'm not sure if I want software changing the feel of a Leica lens.
Well I guess we wait and see...

Mike