Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: The Last Words on B&W Scanning (Don Dory)
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Jul 13 18:04:34 2006

Hoppy,
I scan in RGB mode as I don't want the scanner to control any part of the
scan process.  In RGB mode you are using all the sensors in the scanner to
record exactly whatever they see.  In grayscale I don't know if the scanner
is norming some pixels as there is no color information; this is too much
for me.

Secondly, the RGB file in PS offers more bits to manipulate so less clipping
off of potentially valuable information, again, I am in control of what goes
into the image.  Part of this is back in the old days of 8 bit files.

My theory on adjustments is that I want to manipulate the image bits as
little as possible.  So, if I adjust the scan then there is less to do in PS
so less loss of data as severe adjustments are done.  An exception to this
would be an image that I think shows promise but I am not sure what I want
to do with it.  In that case I will output a pretty flat image that still
holds data from almost white  almost black.  Indeed, these files will
capture all the information on the negative that the scanner can capture.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com