Subject: [Leica] The Last Words on B&W Scanning
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Jul 13 13:44:27 2006

Bob,
Definitely scan in RGB mode as you will get a larger file with more
information.  Always scan at the largest bit depth that your scanner will
allow.  Now comes the hard part, at what resolution to scan at.  All I can
suggest is to try the same negative at different resolutions and see what
comes out.  I have seen grain aliasing on one set of negatives that a fellow
lugger helped me with by scanning on his Leaf.

Last, turn off any sharpening in the scan phase.  Also do enough adjustments
after the prescan that you get all the information from the negative.
Typically that involves adjusting the white and black points as well as
using a curve dialogue to bring the tonality close to what you want.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com