Subject: [Leica] digital in Africa...
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jul 13 00:09:57 2006

At 5:00 PM -0700 7/12/06, Steve Barbour wrote:
>A friend, departing for a trip to Africa of several weeks,  asked me
>re digital storage/transport of his photographs while there and back
>to the States...
>
>He will be shooting to compact flash cards...and wanted to transfer
>to another form of storage for safe ? keeping...
>
>(maybe 4-5 GB of info...??)
>
>We talked about keeping the data on the cards vs hard drives, ipods,
>burning CD's,  power supplies and I said, I really don't know what
>is best,  but I sure know where to get some good advice and
>information...
>
>your input is much appreciated...
>
>thanks, Steve

I've used a couple of different storage devices, including the Epson
2000. A great screen, but not so good battery life and not all that
fast, and not that cheap. The main reason to get it, or the 4000 is
really the screen. And then, going from picture to picture is often
quite slow. I gave up on it.

I got 2 'Nexto DI' units; you buy the shell and put whatever 2.5"
drive in it you want. Firmware does the formatting and transfer, and
a small screen keeps you informed as to the status and capacities
available. When you get home you download to your computer via USB2
or Firewire; it can also act like an external hard drive. I put in
Fujitsu MVH2100AT drives (relatively low power 100Gb units). They are
about 3-4 times as fast as the Epson, and, with the extra battery
pack they hold enough charge to download 100Gb of images. You really
don't have to recharge them until they're full. No screen to view
images, but 2 units complete with 100Gb drives cost less than one
Epson 4000. Even with the extra battery packs, they're still smaller
than the Epson 4000.

I downloaded images to both units on our recent 3 1/2 week trip, and
then my wife kept one in her suitcase and I kept one in my suitcase.
We shot over 80Gb of images, and it all worked wonderfully, and so
fast that there was always time to download to both units.

I've travelled with different units, and also with laptop and
external hard drives as duplicates, but unless you need the laptop
for other things, these Nexto units have been by far the least hassle.

The one possible downside is that it only accepts CF cards. If you
use SD or other cards, you need to carry an adapter. I think they now
have other models that are more versatile.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design