Subject: [Leica] Re: The New York Times Knows Its Stuff
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jul 12 19:28:49 2006

On 7/11/06 9:30 PM, "Robert D. Baron" <rbaron@concentric.net> typed:

> On 7-10-06 Rei Shinozuka wrote:
>
>> if this were exchanged during a party that would have been one thing,
>>  but since it was for publication, i would have found someone on my
>> staff who could answer precisely and authoritatively.  but of course,
>> it was the Times...  :-)
>
> Forgive me for being obsessive-compulsive, but I note the response has
> now been edited.
>
> Where it originally said:
>
>> A. Yes, all of our photographers are equipped digitally. We currently
>>  use Canon 35mm Mark II's and D5's with a variety of lenses from 10mm
>>  to 600 mm. We have Hasselblad large format equipment that shoots
>> film.
>
> Now it has been edited to read:
>
>> A. Yes, all of our photographers are equipped digitally. We currently
>> use 35mm-format Canon Mark II's and 5D's with a variety of lenses
>> from 10mm to 600 mm. We have Hasselblad and large format equipment
>> that shoots film.
>
> So I'll take my meds and go to bed.....
>
> :-)
>
> --Bob

I'm not going to snip the above under this unusual snippy circumstances.
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/business/media/asktheeditors.html
Forgot the word "and".

This is the whole entire quote copied and pasted from the article to the
below. With not one word deleted or my computer needs to be Techtool Pro'd:

A. Yes, all of our photographers are equipped digitally. We currently use
35mm-format Canon Mark It's and 5D's with a variety of lenses from 10mm to
600 mm. We have Hasselblad AND large format equipment that shoots film. Our
photographers are also equipped with lighting equipment -- 2 strobe heads,
battery packs and filters. We receive the photos in JPEG format. Good luck
shooting!

notice: "We have Hasselblad AND large format equipment"
caps are mine.

The "and" would indicate that Hasselblad and large format equipment are
different stuff. As in not the same.
Used to be a Rolleiflex and a Speed Graphic for those old fogies who think
those hot new 35mm jobbies are just toys.

Now its a ten thousand dollar Hasselblad system and a Sinar Pro with three
lenses which cost the same. And a studio and batter strobe system which ads
some more five digit dollar amounts to the inventory.

I guess for slick food shots and stuff like interiors or exteriors even that
they'd need larger formats. Maybe.
For that really shiny pictures on paper with lots of white clay in it. As I
understand it.
For  Larger than 35mm. Larger than cropped 35mm as a matter of fact but
swings and tilts can be a big film with some of the slick stuff you find in
magazines sections or magazines themselves.

Overkill I still think as you can correct perspective issues in Photoshop
and the prevailing style for food shots now is an image which look like they
were taken by your kid with a point and shoot with razor thin DOF no flash
and lots of fuzzy wuzzie issues.

journalistic newsprint breaking news applications don't require very large
digital files at all just couple of megapixels or so. So I've heard all
along. Its all very second or third hand. Rumors off the internet. What do I
know?

EOS-1DS Mark II, 16.7 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body)

The cover of Time Magazines and the Hubble Space telescope booth deal with 3
megapixels. A Mark II seems to be overkill 5.5666 times over that but I
guess the cover of time is not as slick as a lot of other stuff. Less clay
whiteners in the paper and gloss lacquer spot overlays and spot colors..

Mork from New York

Mobile phone: 503.515.5565
Location:4820 W Red Roof Inn 4820 W Henrietta Rd
Henrietta, NY 14467 a small town next to Rochester, Murder Capital of New
York.