Subject: [Leica] How to better appreciate different kinds/styles of photographs?
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sun Jul 9 05:35:47 2006

My gutfeeling and some literature experience (in a non-academical
setting) gave me this set of parameters to determine the quality of
one's work:

For me there a 3 factors determining the quality of a photograph
( also painting/sculpture/...)

 From less important to most important):

1) technical: use of color or not, color schemes, image composition,
exposure, etc.
Lots of literature about those subjects, since it's pretty objective
matter. Even about  color-  and image composition.

2) originality: has it been done before? Ifo subject, or the
interpretation of it.
A difficult one, since the appreciation of originality depends
largely on the viewer's knowledge about existing work.
Thus leading to different appreciations by different people. And
ongoing debates about "Yes, but it makes me think of the work of ..."

3) signature: is the photographer's look on the above a genuine one,
and does it differ in all his work from other's signatures.
It's about honesty and personality.

There are different combinations possible, which lead to a
qualification system for artwork:
top:
it has a signature, it's original, and it's technically perfect
it has a signature, it's original, but not technically perfect
grey zone:
it has a signature, it's not original, it's technically perfect
it has no signature, it's original, it's technically perfect
it has a signature, it's not original, it's not technically perfect
it has no signature, it's original, it's not technically perfect
then into the lower parts of appreciation:
no signature, not original, technically perfect
no signature, not original, not technically perfect

It might be a simplistic way of looking at things, but for me it
works and helps.

Philippe

Op 8-jul-06, om 21:38 heeft Scott McLoughlin het volgende geschreven: