Subject: [Leica] Jill Greenberg's Distressed Children
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Thu Jul 6 09:54:04 2006

Looking at this I can't seem to see the connection with the artists
statement and the images.  But, the technique is familiar, using
provocative images that create an emotional reaction which is then co-opted
for some specific purpose.   advertising I think it is called.  To the
extent that advertising is exploitation I think these kids are being
exploited with the permission of their parents.  These days few really
understand the meaning of exploitation.

An acquaintance of mine had been working on a similar project but without
the provocation.  He just waited for the kid to fuss and cry about
something and take a snap shot.  They look pretty much like the photos in
question.  I think people who are outraged by this are reacting without
knowing much about the process.

Chris Saganich