Subject: [Leica] War photographer
From: vintagebill at verizon.net (bill harting)
Date: Fri Jun 30 14:29:04 2006

Hi Robert,

Maybe it was the context -- I'd just seen a film that was quite moving.

The huge prints were indeed beautifully done -- one could examine them
closely and find extraordinary detail, clearly a first class job in all
respects. The content left me cold. There were beautiful scenes, there was
one beautiful child, larger than life size, in several views, all with the
same expression, there were several views of the same scene in different
lights... the sum did not to me add up to a portrait of the community, the
people there, ways of life there, the hardships or delights, the ecological
challenges or constancy, as it was somewhat described in the introduction
(...a two-year effort). I found it neither to be broadly descriptive nor
cumulative in its effect.

Have you seen it? I'd be interested in your views.

My 2c

bill