Subject: [Leica] War photographer
From: vintagebill at verizon.net (bill harting)
Date: Fri Jun 30 07:09:12 2006

See this movie. Went to the Boston MFA yesterday to see the James Nachtwey
movie "War Photographer". He couldn't be at the screening because he is in
Iraq. It begins with the quote "If you pictures aren't good enough you're
not close enough," a quote we all know and love. Well worth seeing, though
he uses OT equipment, he sure has on-target eyes. Released in 2001, I think,
so does not have any of the wars since then, but still very current and
powerful. An on-camera video camera some of the time shows what he is
shooting while he is shooting. And the cinematographer deserves credit too
for following Nachtwey around. Still to be screened a few times in July.

While there I looked in at the Laura McPhee exhibit of photos blown up (and
I mean blown up -- about 6 feet in the short dimension) from 8x10 negs. Jim
Hemenway, you don't need a big camera, just a big enlarger, it would seem.
Beautifuly done, but the pictures in my view don't amount to much.

Bill h

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] War photographer)
Reply from schneiderpix at mac.com (Robert Schneider) ([Leica] War photographer)