Subject: [Leica] Xi'an Street Vendors
From: chandos at cox.net (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Fri Jun 30 09:04:23 2006

George is right to add some comment to his selection.

I think the uncropped version works better because it establishes a kind of
triangulated gaze.  The subject on the right looks directly at the viewer.
The subject on the left gazes impassively into space.  Neither acknowledges
the other's presence.  There's a sort of tension here that suggests not only
the two subjects' relation to the viewer, but also to each other, which
invites a story.  What is their relationship?  Is this a moment of repose or
a subtle representations of the dynamic between the two and between them and
you?

The lighting is not kind, however.  My inclination, if you were to crop at
all, would be to crop the left side of the frame nearly to the edge of the
lantern to relieve some of the distraction of the deep background and to
reinforce the isolation of the couple.  At the same time, it may be that
this image is a near miss.  It's tough to tell in the jpg what the character
of the shadow detail is in virtually the whole right half of the image.
It's your call whether there's a print here or not.  I can't tell.