Subject: [Leica] Re: Twin Towers
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Jun 22 16:20:59 2006

On Jun 22, 2006, at 2:12 PM, Bob wrote:

> The Seaport, Wall Street, and Battery Park area was my hangout for many
> years of shooting. You did a fine composition of the Merchant Marine
> sculpture.
> For some action, take the ferry to Staten Island.
> I'm glad I have a series of shots of the WTC in my collection. The
> scene
> won't be the same without those towers. On my rounds I would drop into
> the
> restaurants in the basement of the WTC.

My first apartment in the NYC area was in Staten Island. This was in
1963, before the Verrazano Bridge was built. I commuted to my job in
Manhattan via the Staten Island ferry every morning. It was (and still
is) a wonderful short sea trip. At the time, the fare was only a
nickel. If you visit New York, don't miss a round trip on the ferry. It
is one of the best photo ops the city has to offer. You pass the Statue
of Liberty, dodge a few freighters and an occasional cruise liner, and
get great views of lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge.

During the 60s my morning commute offered daily observations of the
Twin Towers under construction. At the time, they were universally
reviled. The towers were railroaded through by the Port of New York
Authority for a variety of reasons, most of which had little to do with
demand for more office space in the area. Architectural critics panned
both their esthetics and the way that they distorted the lower
Manhattan skyline. Their structural design was suspect and there were
well substantiated rumors that substandard concrete was used in their
construction. While everyone regrets the tragic loss of life that the
attack on the towers caused, there are some New Yorkers who feel that
the towers should never have been raised in the first place. The
several proposed replacements for the towers are even less attractive
than the original. In addition to simply being ugly, few businesses
want to rent space in them. And I don't blame them. The space should be
converted to a memorial park. Lower Manhattan certainly needs more
green space to host the coyotes that are moving down from upState.

Larry Z