Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital camera blocker
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Jun 20 11:10:55 2006

On Jun 20, 2006, at 1:42 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Digital camera blocking technology created
>

> ATLANTA, June 19 (UPI) -- Georgia Institute of Technology scientists
> say they've created a prototype device that can block digital video
> cameras from working in a specific area.
>
> The scientists say the prototype -- which could be used to stymie
> unwanted use of video or still cameras -- uses off-the-shelf equipment
> to scan for, find and neutralize digital cameras. The system works by
> looking for the reflectivity and shape of the image-producing sensors
> used in digital cameras.
>
> Associate GIT Professor Gregory Abowd, who led the study, says the
> camera-neutralizing technology shows commercial promise in two
> principal fields -- protecting areas against espionage photography and
> stopping video copying.
>
> Researchers explain a digital camera's image sensor -- called a CCD --
> sends light back directly to its origin rather than scattering it,
> making it relatively easy to detect and identify video cameras.
>
> Once a scanning laser and photo-detector located a video camera, the
> system would flash a thin beam of visible white light directly at the
> CCD, overwhelming the target camera with light and rendering recorded
> video unusable.
>
> A paper on the technology, which is still under development, was
> presented during the Ubicomp conference in Tokyo last September.

Nonsense! You could fool the system with a few ten cent strips of 3M
reflective tape or a couple of cheap Home Depot driveway marker corner
reflectors. I am reaching back half a century into my fading memories
of radar counter measures but jamming or confusing an electromagnetic
scanning system is a lot easier than detecting the target in the first
place.

Larry Z