Subject: [Leica] New M mount Sonnar 1.5 50mm
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Jun 18 15:50:57 2006

Don, are you referring to Contax badged products regarding marketing acumen?
That's a whole other tragedy that still wounds me deeply!
I meant to highlight the new ZI RF range and their new Nikon and M42 mount
manual focus lenses.

CZ have stated that they had 3500 cameras in customer's hands from Nov 2005
to Feb 2006 with 2.5 lenses per camera sold. They also claimed that their
production of 1000 cameras per month was accounted for several months in
advance. Those are tiny figures compared to a giant like say, Canon, of
course.
Still I think it is encouraging that they think the niche worth servicing.
I'm sure some knowledgeable LUG member would be able to tell me what the M
production comparison would be. Anyone?

I completely agree with Jeffery and other posters that it's sad to see
CameraQuest have to stop selling the CZ products. Stephen's site has always
been a good resource and of course he champions the CV products.

I don't know all of the mechanics of Hasselblad USA distribution. In
Australia, as far as I know, it's just one of the brands also distributed by
one company (who is primarily the Pentax distributor)
This is the same company that imports the ZI range, but you'd never know it
from their public presence.

Reportedly exactly FIVE of the original ZI RF bodies came to OZ. Two were on
dealers shelves down south, one in Sydney with a completely film committed
dealer and one is cycling endlessly on eBay AU. Maybe I could buy one and
send it to Kyle for the FrankenBarbie treatment. Now THAT would be a rare
collectors item.

Cheers
Hoppy
Dull, overcast day here, but some B/W negs to scan.