Subject: [Leica] 24x36mm sensor for the RFDM
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jun 15 11:00:49 2006

At 10:23 AM -0700 6/15/06, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Hold on Henning.....
>
>As far as Olympus goes, I have no idea.
>
>I said ( or meant, whichever applies) that the new lenses could and
>should be smaller.... the 50's, 75's, etc.  The Retrofocus WA
>lenses will need "more" glass.  But making the sensor smaller means
>that the lens does not need to throw the same image circle.

For lenses to be optimized for digital use, smaller doesn't work as I
explained. If anything, larger is necessary. If you're going to
design lenses right now for the film and digital M's, you would
certainly make sure they work properly on the DM. Therefore...

Have you seen the 35-100 Oly lens? No smaller than the 70-200 Canon.
Yes, the Oly is f/2, but that is necessary to compete on an
speed/noise level with Canon et al. An f/2.8 lens of otherwise
similar quality and specs would not be much smaller, as the exit
pupil would still be the same size, and that is one of the things
that is really important in lenses for digital.

The Sigma 30/1.4 is significantly bigger than the Canon 50/1.4, even
though it covers a smaller sensor and has a smaller entrance pupil.

>That makes the lens POTENTIALLY smaller, lighter, etc.......( I
>should have said potentially) regardless of design methodology.

IF the lens were designed for film. As it won't be, the lens will not
be smaller. The Olympus lenses are a good example. I've seen other
high end lenses designed for digital by companies such as Fuji and
Zeiss, and the higher the quality they want to achieve, the larger
they get.

>Will they actually be smaller, lighter, etc?  I have no idea.
>
>Will they work with a M-Film camera?  Don't know.   Is Leica
>promising this? Apparently they are.

Yes.