Subject: [Leica] When Leica's English prose goes seriously awry...
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed Jun 14 23:51:31 2006

Hi Adam,
Tossing rocks against stone walls doesn't work.
This isn't Babelfish - this is a very typical example of German
linguistic complacency, the sentence structure is German, the choice of
words too.
I offered Leica my services as a translator a couple of years ago (with
a couple of  translated and/or corrected pages from their website, free
of charge, as an example). They didn't even bother to answer, but then
again, HAMA, Novoflex, Gossen, Metz, Culmann and others in the German
photography segment, did reply and said that they already had someone
working on it - he/she must be very slow, in two and a half years
nothing has happened.
Now I'm sticking to "smaller" companies ;-) - where it is generally
accepted that their English may not be quite good enough for the global
market.
Like DaimlerChrysler, Siemens, VW, SAP, Motorola, Continental Tyres and
even Masterfile Europe etc, etc,etc
Douglas
G2E Translations
Hannover, Germany

BTW, the best thing I found was a translation company which wrote, " We
can dispose of 50 translators at any time" - dangerous business