Subject: [Leica] Marc, comments on a LTM Schneider Xenogon 35mm F2.8
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Jun 12 20:39:47 2006

At 10:11 PM 6/12/06 -0400, Don Dory wrote:
>Marc,
>Oh ye humble author of LTM lenses, talk to me about this lens.  The first
>roll appeared to be quite good but light levels were not high so flare
>issues weren't to be tested.  Any experience with this little puppy?  I
>don't find much information in English so I suspect most copies were kept in
>Europe.  Anyway, the price was right as it came as a body cap on a II series
>Canon I found cheap.

Don

If you send me the serial number, I can decode the year of production for
you.  This is a really nice lens which never came into its own:  it entered
the market after the second version of the 2.8/35 CZ Biogon and as
retro-focus designs for SLR's came out in some numbers, the interest in
straight designs such as the Biogon and Xenogon faded.  I had suggested in
my LTM lens book that this lens might have been introduced during the War
but I now suspect that its introduction date was around 1950 and that it
survived to around 1960.  Wilkinson suggests an introduction date of 1952
but that seems to just be the date of the earliest example he noted during
his productive lifetime, and I would opt for 1949 or 1950.

I briefly owned one of these and shot a couple of rolls with it.  I do not
recall any flare problems.  It was coated -- JSK got permission from Zeiss
to use their vacuum-coating technology in 1947.

You have a great lens, Don.  Leitz and Schneider worked together from about
1934 into the 1980's, so this lens was made with the intention of being
used on Leica cameras, I suspect, unlike the CZJ Biogon T's which show up
in LTM on occasion.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!