Subject: [Leica] RAW and In-Camera Algorithms
From: krieger at usc.edu (Martin Krieger)
Date: Thu Jun 8 08:51:58 2006

I would like to find a list of the algorithms or processings from the pixel
output to the image. As mentioned earlier this week, they adjust the output
of the sensor to better match our eye sensitivity to color. What else do
they do? Adjust brightness range, ...

What inspired this question was Nathan Myhrvold's article in yesterday's NY
Times, where he spoke of in-camera processing that would, given Moore's Law,
eventually correct for lens aberrations, and also to deconvolve and extend
the focus of the image and so allow for in effect much larger depth of
field. (I assume the aberration correction is done, out of camera, in spy
satellites and the like. I know that image processing programs now can
improve on distortion.)

By the way, they had a nice article on the rise of the LCD on the back of
the camera vs. the conventional viewfinder.

Thanks very much,
Martin Krieger
krieger@usc.edu