Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: schneiderpix at mac.com (Robert Schneider)
Date: Wed Jun 7 17:31:53 2006

 From all of the specifications that I have read, RAW files are
supposed to provide sensor-level data without any camera-level
processing.  That's kinda the whole point.

If Leica plans to provide a "tweaked" file and call it RAW, that will
be a "proprietary" definition.  And an unfortunate one, IMO.

As I said earlier, they could offer any in-camera JPEG tweaks in
their RAW converter.  How those of us who will not use their software
will apply these adjustments remains a question.

I'm still guessing that their in-camera adjustments won't actually
amount to much if anything.  They make good glass that should perform
well (see R-D1 samples for evidence).  All they're going to provide
is a way to get the focal length and max. aperture into the EXIF.
The rest will be that vaunted Solms "fairy dust."

rs

www.robertschneider.com
www.schneiderpix.com