Subject: [Leica] Senegal
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sun Jun 4 13:54:24 2006

Page 6 and part of 7 are empty. Next pages are OK again until 15,
which is empty again.

It's a selection I made of 3 very charged (shooting) days of Senegal,
that I visited with a group of advertising people invited by a media
central. I went with them to do the photography.
This media central is aiding some projects in Dakar via micro credits
for their 4th year now.
They're are sponsoring small cooperatives of women, built a house for
a local charity organisiation that was inaugurated when we were
there, and so on.
When I was there, I didn't have the time to realise how miserable
most people are living over there.
But despite all this misery, they are happier than most of us spoiled
western folks.
A very humbling and meanwhile disbalancing experience.

If you go there, be sure to take somebody with you that speaks Wolof:
a lot of people (esp. women) don't like to be photographed because of
their religion (Islam). The others that don't like to be photographed
are the ones that want money.

I had to shoot completely against my nature. Normally I take few and
thought through photos, and here I had to do a reportage of about
everything we saw. I was shooting all the time, and was stressed
because I didn't know if the output would be OK. Finally it turned
out well, but if I'd return, I'd take a few days to walk around
without shooting, noting what was interesting, and then I would
return with an intepreter to do the actual shooting.
I missed something we drove by that was incredibly photogenic because
of lac of time: on a part of the Dakar beach, young men come together
to train for the national sport, wrestling. Riefenstahl(s Nuba are
nothing to it... And I didn't get a chance to shoot it...

Thanks for looking, Tina.
Your appreciation means a lot to me.
Philippe

Op 4-jun-06, om 22:28 heeft Tina Manley het volgende geschreven: