Subject: [Leica] Digital M Principle
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Sat Jun 3 19:23:11 2006

> "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@comcast.net>

>> To use a rangefinder? Of course. Better image quality? Based on what
>> facts?

B.D., astound me and tell me that all of a sudden facts matter to you.

  I base this on the observation that the DMR image quality is better
than the D70 image quality (my camera vs. my father's camera) and the
wild speculation the M8's image quality (being the company's
"flagship") will be at least approximately equal to the DMR's image
quality, if not better.

This speculation is based on the following observations:

) the M8's electronic development has benefitted from experience with
the DMR and a couple of years' advancement in the technology

) the M cameras are Leica's flagships

) the image quality that the latest M lenses are capable of producing
would be totally wasted on a AA-filtered chip like the D70's

) Leica's pre-release expectation of the DMR's image quality turned out
to be much more accurate than B.D.'s assessment of the DMR, leading me
to believe that Leica isn't as stupid as B. D. seems to think.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Message from telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr) ([Leica] Digital M Principle)