Subject: [Leica] Digital M Principle
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jun 3 07:29:18 2006

In a message dated 6/3/06 5:56:42 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> >The Leica M digital will have a modified M-mount
> >with a bar code which tells the camera the focal length.
> >The correct frameline will then be electronically changed.
> >While Leica will sell kits at about $125 each to update Leica
> >M lenses to the M digital it remains to be seen if those kits can
> >be used on non Leica made lenses.
To sever film from digital in the digital M body breaks the logic of using
the Leica system because it destroys the crossover Leica users expect. The
framing should remain mechanical for reliability and the conservation of
power, in
addition to the universal compatibility of Leica lenses.

For that matter, producing a digital M using anything but a true 24x36mm
revolutionary sensor would be a huge mistake. Why would I switch from the
Nikon
D70 to a digital M in that case? Leica Solms should be warned against
producing
a pseudo, premature digital M. We won't bite, methinks. Maybe collectors
would
buy that animal. But collectors won't make Leica successful. Only a has-been.

Bob R

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: Digital M Principle)
Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr) ([Leica] Digital M Principle)