Subject: [Leica] Re: Visual compression
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu May 25 17:16:37 2006

At 07:25 PM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
>If this is the case, then a 1.2 meg. RAW image contains all the
>information that the eye can see.

What I know is that I can see a difference when I view a file at 100%
that has been compressed as a jpeg.  Jpegs are lossy and lose
information even if you save them at 12 quality and every time you
save the same jpeg over again, it compresses again and loses still
more information.  I archive everything as RAW and after working on
it in PSCS2, I save another as Tiff.  Jpegs are only good enough for
the web as far as I can see.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com