Subject: [Leica] my camera bag is getting BIGGER! -- GPS advice (Kyle Cassidy)
From: tlianza at sequelimaging.com (tlianza)
Date: Mon May 22 20:31:15 2006

If B.D. and I shared the same watch, I don't think that we could agree on
the time of day, but with respect to a GPS, if you get a TomTom 300 you
won't regret it.  Forget about hooking it up to the computer, just use it to
get where you want to go and then sell it on eBay later.  I have a few
handhelds, like the Garmin 60cs, that interface to the Nikon and laptop
software, but when you are in a car and you want to get somewhere, TomTom
rules.

You can buy a relatively cheap package to hook to a laptop or palm top, but
until you have a young lady talking with an Aussie accent directing you to
your destination, you really haven't lived the good life.  It isn't small
and it's not cheap, but I knew precisely where I was I was lost in the Utah
desert. And the dirt road I was on was clearly marked, after I decided to
plug it into the cigarette charger....  She did let me down a bit about the
flash flood washout....  maybe I should have updated before I left...

All kidding aside, after using my TomTom for a few weeks, I bought my
girlfriend and son one.  My oldest son recommended it to me....he hacked the
UNIX kernel inside of it, or something along those lines... Now they don't
let you do that anymore so, for him, it's not so much fun.

Tom Lianza
Director of Display and Capture Technologies
GretagMacbeth LLC
3 Industrial Drive
Unit 7&8
Windham, NH 03087