Subject: [Leica] my camera bag is getting BIGGER! -- GPS advice
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon May 22 11:31:55 2006

Kyle I have used a Garmin eTex as my hand-held GPS and I have have
used it with a laptop and Route 66 software on my Mac. This software
worked well but it doesn't have the features for driving that a unit
designed for a car has. Since you don't own a car forking out the
bucks for a car unit would be foolish. But be aware that you'll need a
navigator to get the functionality using the GPS unit and a laptop.

<http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVenturecx/>

I bought mine at REI. It works really well. I like being able to set a
base camp location and then use it to get back to where I started
from. I've needed that a few times in Arizona when I was walking a
stream bed and couldn't find the trail that got me down there! Saved
some panicky moments.

I will also recommend REI. They gave me good advice when I bought the unit.

I have a Garmin 2610 that really is wonderful. all the maps are on an
internal hard drive. We take it when we fly and rent a car - works
super. Not for you but others who are thinking about a dash-board GPS
might want to investigate one of these:

<http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2610/>

The complaint is always "they make routing decisions that a person who
knows the area wouldn't make" and it's true in its way - but when you
don't have a clue about how to get from Pt A to Pt B they do a very
good job.

I'm not big fan of Route 66 but it's okay and it runs on my Mac.

<http://www.66.com/>

You might also be able to get a GPS car for a fancy cell phone and use
their software on that.

Adam