Subject: [Leica] digital recorder + wireless microphone?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon May 22 10:46:07 2006

"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made
flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine
flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew
such lovely pictures!"

I read the first time this was ever done it was by Robert Altman in the
movie version of MASH in 1970. And it was revolutionary at the time. Enabled
Altman to have everyone talking at the same time in the tent around the camp
fire and then bring up the dialog which worked and bring down the dialog he
doesn't want interfering.  As there was no script probably. The article said
it was like the Sergeant Pepper of Film recording and after that this
technique of having everyone wired wireless mini miked became the norm fast.
A boom on used Gitzo Booms

But this reminds me in a bit of, in a stretch, of very early digital
recording, 1984 a big year on many accounts (M6, First Mac, Ansel dies,
we're in the future now) Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic on Deutsch
Gramophone coming out with a Beethoven symphony cycle (all of them) the
first ever digitally recorded (he did one once a decade anyway) and the
theory was that with digital the traditional miking method of three of four
mikes  could be replaced by every single musician in the entire orchestra
having their own mini mike wired to their music stand so the thing could be
balanced.. well kind of like an Altman movie. But Karajan micro managed
balanced.
Well anyway it sounded like tin hell and made for an early bad impression of
digital by most audiophiles and normal people with ears and vinyl or reel to
reel Ampex. I've got a set of the cassette tapes oxide.
But then it turned out that if you just miked it normally with three of four
mikes like they usually do with analog digital didn't sound so bad. (Mikey
likes it)

Of course this makes many film-o-philes like me think of the scene of Alex
in Kublicks Clockwork Orange (1972) popping on a micro cassette for a bit of
the glorious 9th with a yellow Deutsch Gramophone label (cracks me up every
time) o my bothers.. With his pet snake, Basil. The real name of the snake.
Billed I think as "The Snake". All because Altman found out Malcolm McDowell
had a phobia of snakes.

Mark Rabiner

Looming up on the Hoh Rain Forest from sunny Aberdeen halfway up the
Washington coast where its raining for some reason.
Hoping to spend the night in the Lake Crescent Lake National Park Lodge.
My transmission is iffy on my overloaded camper van. So is both my rear and
the one of my dogs. I'm going to be getising a bunch of stuff in boxes via
the us in some post office somewhere. As it's all downhill to Portland.
Which puts a load the transmission I think. Uphill is no problem with the 8
cylinders are clickin'. I'm a lousy chicken.

Photographer Mark Rabiner
Cellphone: 503.515.5565
Residence: where my four wheels hit the road of my 1995 Airstream 190 Ford
Camper Van.

Won't you get hip to this timely tip:
when you make that north west coast trip
Get your kicks on Route 101
Get your fun on Route 101

Alex: Initiative comes to thems that wait.

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] digital recorder + wireless microphone?)