Subject: [Leica] What's the Best All-Around 50?
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu May 11 15:39:34 2006

I always felt that the less effort it took to make a good print -- i.e.
the less burning, dodging or darkroom magic -- the better the lens used
to capture the image. It may sound silly but I put more stock in that
than MTF charts and published tests, because I experienced trends that
held true. Some lenses were easier to print than others. This is the
list of the very best:

1) 50/2 Summicron (M but not R)
2) 50/1.4 Zeiss Planar in C/Y mount.
3) 28/2.8 Elmarit (both M and R)

These four lenses always amazed me at just how remarkably they performed
under various apertures and in all types of lighting. As such, I'm very
curious about the 50/2 ZM Planar.

daveR