Subject: [Leica] What's the Best All-Around 50?
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Wed May 10 18:02:16 2006

Now, this  isn't a "What should I buy?" question because I have nearly all
of them already. And the Noctilux 50/1.0 isn't the right answer because it
is really designed to be used under limited light and it is just too darned
big, expensive, and heavy to be a "best" of all worlds. Take into account:

Sharpness (a subjective perception)
Contrast
Bokeh
Easy of use (yeah, I guess that means weight and size)
Contrast
Versatility
Affordability (keep in mind that I'm talking to LUGers who could afford the
body...they have enough to buy this lens, but who spend $3,800 if you can
buy the best all-around 50 for less?)
Use with today's films, not classic films
Intangibles

I have a pretty good idea of what most folks would say, but wondered if I am
right. If the Department of Homeland Security dictated that a photographer
could have only one lens, a 50 (so you couldn't take pictures of places you
planned to attack), what would it be? Oh, and it has to be Leica.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com

Replies: Reply from rhaightjr at yahoo.com (Bob Haight) ([Leica] What's the Best All-Around 50?)