Subject: [Leica] OT question: DVD burners
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue May 9 16:21:49 2006

You need special software to make a DVD that can be played on a DVD
player - rather than popped into a computer. On the Mac that software
comes with the machine in the form of iDVD. You would construct the
video portion with iMovie and then let iDVD do the conversion. It also
has a slide-show mode.

The pro version of that software is DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro -
both of which are included in Final Cut Studio.

There are a wealth of PC programs which will do these same tasks
although, since I don't use a PC, I've never paid any attention to
them.

Still, the structure for a DVD which can be played on a regular player
is very specific and the compression required is also precisely
specified. It's the reason you need a custom piece of software to make
it all work.

Adam