Subject: The state of PJ Today - was: BD's Re: [Leica] So for... -
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon May 8 13:12:55 2006

Oh, and it wasn't possible to get a film camera for next to nothing before
the advent of digital? Please. And there weren't people in the age of film
who bought cameras and set off for war zones knowing next to nothing, but
went looking for adventure and their Big Break? Can you say Sean Flynn and
Dana Stone, both of whom arrived in  Saigon not knowing a camera from a
camel, to become hot shot combat photographers until they disappeared in
Cambodia?

None of this is new. Period.

What is new is the level of greed we are seeing on the part of corporations
who are buying the photographs. But let's not forget that Corbis started to
wreck havoc before the real advent of digital.

Digital, smidgital - this is greed driven, not technology driven.