Subject: The state of PJ Today - was: BD's Re: [Leica] So for... -
From: dennisphoto at singnet.com.sg (Dennis Thong)
Date: Mon May 8 12:36:20 2006

With the advancement of today's digital camera, as long that you have
the money you can get yourself a good semi pro digital camera system.
And sad to say, there are many who started to call themselves
photographers.

It not just affect the status of today PhotoJournalists, but even
many professional photographers in the commercial fields are
affected. There are even beginners who just took up photography for
hobbies, willing to take on shooting assignments for PRs, weddings,
etc. They are willing to do it for free or at very low charges, so as
to get exposures, experiences, bylines, or getting the glamourous
opportunities to photographing some special events or having to
shooting some special VIPs...

And for the freelance photographers, they will lower their
professional charges to compete among themselves to win over clients.
I met some of these "cheap photographers", and they told me: "If i
don't lower my pricing, someone will do that and get those jobs..!"

In my country, Singapore, there is a Professional Photographers
Association, but it's not doing any work to up keep the standard and
pricing of photography here. Sad....

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) (The state of PJ Today - was: BD's Re: [Leica] So for... -)