Subject: The state of PJ Today - was: BD's Re: [Leica] So for... -
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun May 7 17:38:24 2006

Well that - the situation at the Observer - has to do with newspaper
salaries in general, not the state of photojournalism. Since the beginning
of time, people have left newspapering for fields like PR - :- ) - when they
realized they needed to put their kids through college, etc. Yes, reporters
and photographers at the New York Times, Washington Post, etc., can support
themselves with their newspaper salaries. But at the smaller papers? And,
yes, when senior people leave these days, most papers are filling their jobs
with cheap kids - but so are banks, so are oil companies, so are companies
in most industries. Times are tough for everyone.