Subject: [Leica] GT40 - car tech no Leica content
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue May 2 06:37:48 2006

Most racing cars were/are designed round the gearshift linkage(!) A
straight linkage is the most important part of gearbox feel and shift
speed. The most common cause of unreliability and overtaking before
foolproof electronic shifts was missed shifts which caused damaged
dog rings in the 'box. This is absolutely crucial for a 24 hour car.
The gearshift linkage exits the 'box on the right on the GT40, which
is based on the Lola GT. Getting a nice linkage down the centre of a
mid-engined car of this layout is not possible so the lever is on the
fuel pontoon next to the RH door, hence RHD.
The road cars may not have had the same 'box. A friend of mine had
one for many years but sold it to buy a classic F1 car for
Thoroughbred Grand Prix racing (good fun). It was certainly right
hand drive.
Frank