Subject: [Leica] GT40
From: lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC)
Date: Sun Apr 30 06:14:43 2006

On 30 Apr 2006, at 14:01, Roy Feldman wrote:

> "All GT40's have the steering on the right" is simply not true.

You must have a long arm to reach that gear stick! :-)

Only kidding. I guess you're talking about the Mk IV, which was made in
the States, some for racing and some for the road. I believe they only
made 12 of these all together, and the racing ones - including the 1967
Le Mans winner - were certainly right hand drive. I'm assuming the road
cars were LHD. As indeed some of the (only 7 in total) Mk IIIs probably
were, those that were intended for US non-race customers.

As usual my statement was quite as definitive as it should have been...
Sorry.

I understand a lot of US circuits are anti-clockwise, notably those
used for NASCAR - is this true? If so it would have made a lot of sense
for Kar Kraft, builders of the Mk IV, to build some LHD racers.

I think we can assume that almost all of the 111 cars built at Slough
in England were RHD, and at least half the 12 cars built in Michigan
were RHD, so I'll modify my original statement:

"Almost all GT40s have the steering wheel on the right".

Replicas built after 1967 are, of course, a different thing
altogether...

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter