Subject: [Leica] Long week....
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Mon May 1 08:07:17 2006

Was it Shintaro who messed up the job? I'm surprised, if so--he has such a
good rep. here and elsewhere on the 'net. If not him, maybe we all learned
not to use anyone else but him. Also it would be so easy to strip (as
opposed the the initial prep w/ the chrome) the matte black off and make it
right.
  I hate to say it but it reminds me so well of the "customer service"
prevalent here among the "old-fashioned" merchants (quickly going out of
business) in Korea.

Keith Johnson <gammanine@yahoo.com> wrote:
  My part in all of this is that I have an inexplicable
fetish for black paint leica gear, and I covet the
black paint m3 from the 50's big time.
Realizing that I'll never be able to afford the real
one, I decided to have a chrome one refinished by this
guy in Japan. I've seen a few examples of his work,
and it was very good. Everyone I talked to seemed very
satisfied about making the decision to have him redo
their camera.
Long story short.... I get my camera back, after
waiting 9 months. He painted my M3 matte black instead
of the agreed upon regular gloss black enamel finish.
He will not make good on his original agreement, he
will not answer my emails. He did respond to the first
one or two, telling me I should rub the camera with my
hands and I will like it more. Yes, thats what he said
exactly.
No explanation about why he made the decision, a
total of 3 emails from him during the 9 month wait.
Btw, his site says he needs 2 months to do the job.
Ha!!
In the scheme of things this is not the worst thing
in the world. While I think the camera is ugly as it
is, it is a good user, and it is black. Adding M4
so I can give my M2 a much needed rest.
My 35 chron just lost it's infinity focus, my
replacement lens is stuck in customs for no good
reason, now this. Tough equipment week for me. Live
and learn.