Subject: [Leica] A close call to be sure
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sun Apr 30 16:35:41 2006

Thanks, Brian. It is $500ish?

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+jsmith342=cox.net@leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+jsmith342=cox.net@leica-users.org] On Behalf Of Brian
Reid
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 5:55 PM
To: Leica Users Group
Subject: RE: [Leica] A close call to be sure

UPS devices have two ratings: one is the amount of electricity that it holds
(how long it can run when the power goes out) and the other is the rate at
which it can deliver that electricity (how many amps or watts or KVA it can
emit).

If you buy one of these things, make sure you study the nameplate on each
device and write down its power consumption in watts, and make sure that
your UPS has enough delivery capacity to keep up with that many devices.

In general it's pointless to put laser printers on consumer-grade UPS boxes.
Their power use is quite variable, and at times it can spike to very high
levels that will displease a UPS.

Here in Palo Alto my power goes out every couple of months, and I have a
dozen UPS's. For my computers and servers (including the LUG server) I use
these:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA1500