Subject: [Leica] Chernobyl Legacy - ignorance!
From: johan at cig.se (Johan Ericson)
Date: Sun Apr 30 14:43:37 2006

Dear Mr Small,
this is the absolute most stupid and ignorant statement I read on the LUG so
far. As a former Swedish Air force photographer I had a lot of insight in
our siding with NATO and our quite aggressive stand towards the Soviet ?
when it comes to practical terms.
Some examples that now is no longer any secrets:
Our air force was integrated in NATO command structure.
We stored tons of NATO air fuel on all of our airbases.
All our airfields strips where of NATO-standard (Swedish planes demanded
less distance for take off and landing).
Some of my Wings alternative bases where in West Germany!
We shared intelligence material with USA and NATO on a daily basis.
Our planes and command centrals where packed with USA ?cutting edge?
technology ? stuff you don?t give away to half hearted friends.
Our doctrine where to halt the Soviets until USA had transferred enough
troops to Norway ? I think it was about three days ;-)

And USA is still by far the largest buyer of Swedish military technology.

So please Mr Small ? read your history!

And by the way ? the fallout didn?t harm Sweden.
(You just had to be careful to check how many kilos of wild meat or fish you
eat from some districts ? the very first years after the fallout :-)

I expect some form of excuse from you regarding your statement: ?Couldn't
have happened to a better target,? that is not only based on lack of
knowledge but also reveals a very strange attitude.

Johan Ericson
Uppsala, Sweden