Subject: [Leica] Speaking of cars...
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Sat Apr 29 19:29:22 2006

Nathan - Loved those old American cars despite their obvious flaws.
Giant V8's, horrid brakes, but big enough to hold a party of 8 if you
were all good friends.

My brother drove a Plymouth GTX for a while, a 1966 model if I
remember correctly.  It had a 350 HP V-8.  I think the cylinders were
about 4" in diameter.  The car made a kind of pocka-pocka sound when
it idled and rocked back and forth like it couldn't stand  being
still.

We were doing 80 MPH driving north to Canada once on trip and he said
"want to see what it'll will do?"  He floored the accelerator, my
neck snapped back like it was on a rubber band, the tires screeched,
and we we were off in a smelly cloud of burning rubber and oil.  80
to 120 in about 4 seconds.  I gasped, my stomach made for my throat,
and the car felt like it was airborne.  He slowed down just before
all hope was lost.

What a ride!  Of course, we averaged about 8 MPG on that trip.

Great cars.  I'm just glad we survived them.  :-))

Dick