Subject: [Leica] Re: Small cars
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Apr 27 05:46:55 2006

Marc,
You need to do some serious cost/benefit analysis on you heating bills.
Unless you live in 10,000 sq ft you can substantially decrease your costs by
doing some of the things that Daniel mentioned.  My climate in Atlanta is a
little more moderate than yours but my gas bills were substantially smaller
than yours.  Double pane windows, serious draft control, a very high
efficiency furnace on the first floor and a heat pump on the second floor.
Seriously lower the thermostat and add local heating to those rooms that you
mostly occupy so that the ambient temperature in the whole of the house is
65F and the local area possibly 72.  I think my bill for the whole winter
was about $475.

The reason gas prices have gone through the roof is because the only power
plants built in the U.S. over the last ten years have been gas turbines.  If
you think that your gas consumption is high imagine what a 50 MW generator
complex chews through.  Thank our friends in the environmental arena, the
NIMBY folk, and the regulatory beaurocrats for those decisions.  We have
coal, we know how to build plants that are clean except for CO2 but instead
we take the best fuel for point source heating and use it for a power plant.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com